Monday, March 29, 2010

Where Did March Go?

Where has this month gone? I was reading over my only post for this month, and was a little surprised to see that well, I only managed to post once, and two, not much has changed since that post. I still miss my son. I still worry about him. I still dream about him and wonder how he's doing. I emailed him the other day, but I haven't heard back from him. I wish I could say prayer is getting me thru this, but it's not working to well for me right now. Having a faith crisis or something like that.

Oh well- wanna hear the good news? I finally got my DSLR-- woo hoo!! Now if I could get some time to play with it. We're headed to DC in a few weeks, so that will be good practice. I can't wait to take photos of the monuments and use my wide angle lense! So cool.

More later. Maybe. Who knows...

3 comments:

I take photos. said...

Practice with your wide angle lens, don't forget to have a fore, a middle and a background...the wide angle will teach you more about composition than you might care to learn :) You may find yourself taking a lot of boring grand vistas at first...I certainly did. -jeffl

Teri said...

Any suggestions on practicing with the wide angle- I'd really love to avoid the boring, although grand, vistas. I'm sure I'll get in my fair share of those...
thanks,
tc

I take photos. said...

Even after almost 20 yrs, I get my fair share...its like potato chips...just can't stop:)

I'd suggest looking at some photography books in the library that have a good chapter or two on composition. With wide angles compositional elements such as "rule of thirds", "leading lines", and "framing" become even more critical to making a photo work. You can also search on any of those and find heaps of online resources. One I just found that covers the basics is: http://www.amateursnapper.com/photography/10-top-photography-composition-rules

It also helps to look through magazines (or web sites or blogs) with good photography that you like, such as National Geographic Traveler or for fashion, maybe Vogue, and just look at the photographs making a note about what you actually like about the photos (and what you don't).

Most of all, like the route to Carnegie Hall, it is practice practice practice. good luck.